Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer in Montgomery County Helping Clients Seek Compensation
All auto accidents have the potential to cause serious injuries. Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents cause severe damage and injuries to drivers and passengers alike. If you have been injured in a car accident with an intoxicated driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, property damage, and more.
The effects of a drunk driving accident can be long-lasting, and symptoms from your injuries have the potential to last a lifetime. If you were injured by a drunk driver, reach out to a drunk driving accident lawyer on our team to hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions. Our team at Tehrani Law, LLC has years of experience representing victims to seek justice and compensation on their behalf. For a free consultation and to learn more about us, call 301-939-0133 today.
What Are the Most Common Injuries After a Drunk Driving Accident?
Because intoxicated drivers have slow reaction times, drunk driving accident victims often sustain serious or even fatal injuries. While every drunk driving accident case is unique, there are some common injuries that many individuals suffer.
If you were in a drunk driving collision, you may have suffered injuries like:
- Head and neck injuries. Head injuries often happen when a driver or passenger hits their head against the car door or window. Head injuries like concussions can cause confusion, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting.
- Arm and leg injuries. In a side-impact collision, arm and leg injuries like broken bones or bruises can occur.
- Whiplash. Whiplash occurs when your head jerks backward and then forward in a sudden motion. This violent movement can cause neck pain, neck stiffness, pain, and numbness in your arms or hands.
- Scrapes and cuts. Loose objects like cell phones and writing utensils may launch during a crash, hitting drivers and passengers.
- Back injuries. Herniated discs and fractured vertebrae can occur due to the violent nature of drunk driving accidents. This trauma can cause permanent injuries with lifelong symptoms.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries are caused by the brain hitting the skull during an impact. Drunk driving victims may experience confusion, slurred speech, or loss of consciousness.
Unfortunately, fatal car accidents due to drunk driving crashes can occur. If your loved one died because of intoxicated driving, you have a right to sue the at-fault party on their behalf. Contact our team today to learn more about the wrongful death claims process.
What Should I Do After a Drunk Driving Accident?
After a car accident caused by a negligent driver, it’s easy to go into shock and exit the situation. However, taking a few critical steps can help you build a car accident claim later to recover compensation.
If you have been in a drunk driving accident, take the following steps immediately:
- Call emergency services if you or any passengers are injured.
- Make a police report, and give any details of the accident to police officers. Do not admit fault.
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene, including any injuries. If your passenger is injured, take pictures of his or her injuries as well.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver if you are able to. Get their license number, phone number, and insurance company.
- Get a copy of any police reports made at the scene, especially if the reports note the driver’s BAC (blood alcohol content).
- Contact a team of drunk driving accident lawyers. The sooner you reach out to a personal injury attorney, the sooner you can begin building your case and recovering compensation.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Receive After a Drunk Driving Accident?
During all personal injury claims, our team attempts to recover as much compensation as possible for our clients. While the specific amount of compensation you can receive will depend on the circumstances of your case, there are some common items victims will request compensation for after a motor vehicle accident.
You may be able to receive compensation for the following:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
Punitive damages are additional damages you can claim if the other party’s actions were particularly reckless or dangerous. In many drunk driving accident cases, especially those involving traffic fatalities, the court will order the at-fault party to pay punitive damages to the victim or their family. Punitive damages are specifically meant to punish the at-fault party and discourage them from repeating their reckless behavior ever again.
How Can You Spot a Drunk Driver?
Learning how to spot an impaired driver on the road can help keep you and your passengers safe. While it’s not up to you to avoid drunk drivers, knowing the signs of an intoxicated motorist may protect you from a dangerous accident.
To spot a drunk driver, look for the following signs:
- Excessive braking
- Driving too slowly
- Ignoring traffic lights or stop signs
- Strange speed changes
Should I Hire a Drunk Driving Accident Attorney?
Being injured in a drunk driving accident can be a very frightening experience. When an intoxicated motorist is under the influence of prescription drugs, illegal drugs, or alcohol, they become a danger to all those on the road around them. A driver’s ability to stop, slow down, or swerve out of the way is severely impacted if they are impaired, and an individual driving over the legal limit can cause injuries or even fatalities in an instant.
If you are a victim of a drunk driver’s reckless actions, you deserve to seek justice and demand compensation for what you’ve gone through. Our experienced attorneys have extensive knowledge of Maryland drunk driving accident cases, and we can assist you in recovering damages for injuries or after a wrongful death. To learn more information, contact Tehrani Law, LLC by calling 301-939-0133 today.